Connecticut Grassroots Alliance
Attorney Deborah G. Stevenson
P.O. Box 704
Southbury, CT 06488
Tel: (860) 354-3590
Cell: (203) 206-4282
INFORMATION ON TENTH AMENDMENT LEGISLATION
· Connecticut Grassroots Alliance is an affiliation of 28 grassroots organizations from across Connecticut with members from all political parties.
· The Connecticut Grassroots Alliance is asking the Government Administration and Elections Committee to raise three proposals to reassert the State’s powers and duties under the Tenth Amendment.
· Of the three proposals,
Version A is a resolution that urges Congress to exercise only those powers delegated to the
United States by the Constitution;
Version B is a bill that declares that the State of Connecticut retains sovereignty over all
powers and duties not delegated to the federal government by the Constitution sets up a
method for the legislature to review federal laws to determine their legality, and directs the
legislature to tell Congress of the legislature’s findings.
Version C is a bill that is identical to version B but omits any directive to Congress.
· This issue is not about political parties – it crosses all party lines.
· This issue is about restoring Constitutional governance and protecting the State whenever the
federal government oversteps its bounds, no matter which political party is in power in Washington.
· Versions B and C would set up a method to review the legality of federal laws adopted by
Congress no matter which party is in power in Washington.
· The proposals have the support of many state legislators in both political parties.
· The ranking members of the Government Administration and Elections Committee, State Senator
Michael McLachlan and State Representative John Hetherington, have formally requested the
Co-Chairs of that Committee, State Senator Gayle Slossberg and State Representative James
Spallone to raise the proposals for a public hearing before that committee.
· The Committee deadline for raising bills for a public hearing is Friday, February 19, 2010.
· The people of the State of Connecticut will no longer tolerate the adoption of any
unconstitutional laws. The State retains these powers and duties, and should have a method to use them.
For more information contact:
Attorney Deborah Stevenson, (860) 354-3590, (203) 206-4282
To view the text of the proposals, see www.ctpatriotalliance.com